Wednesday, August 03, 2005

One Bite Forward, Two Back; Get Ready for the Mayhem!

On Monday, my dentist checked the progress of my gum graft last week. Looked just like it ought to, she thought. It certainly was feeling better. Sunday night, I was actually able to eat using both sides of my mouth. You never would think how important that ability is until you lose it. But the good news ended when the dentist removed a couple of dangling sutures. While reaching for one of them, she jammed a pair of small scissors into one of the sites that was cut last week. Oh my God did that hurt. And now, that side of my mouth hurts worse when I'm eating than it did right after the surgery. Even coffee is painful, and it wasn't a week ago. I'm kind of pissed at her now.

At least I've quit taking the pain pills. Beer with meals is a far more effective pain reliever than the Ibuprofen or Vicodin. Numbs me right where I need it, when I need it. I haven't tried it at breakfast yet, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility the way things are going.
Another salmon season is upon us. Chinook are working their way into some Lake Michigan streams now, though until Labor Day there probably will be more fishermen than fish.

I'll grant you that having a 25 lb. fish on your line is quite a thrill. Having to buck the salmon-chasing crowds to do it is not worth the effort in my book. Why not? For starters, there's the slobs who seem to gravitate toward concentrations of salmon. And the stupid petty bickering that draws in all kinds of fishermen.

I do fish salmon one or two days a year, usually when Kristine and I take our fall break trip and they are the only fishing opportunity available. Usually I manage to find a spot that others don't bother with. Still, I'd just as soon fish for 8" brook trout under leaves glowing red and gold.

No comments: