* Our four day canoe trip down the Au Sable in August. The best vacation Kristine and I have taken in years.
* Continued improvement and growing student enthusiasm in my class on "Writing the Watershed."
* My late August trip to fish the White Fly hatch on the Au Sable. The best trip of the year, despite some shaky mental health at the time.
* Best Meal: Out--Chicken Picata at Wiltse's brewpub in Oscoda. (I know--Oscoda!); In--the first batch of gazpacho made from our own tomatoes.
* Best Drink: Presidenté martini at Habana while out for my birthday.
* Best Book: Jim Harrison's The English Major.
Lowlights of 2008
* My trip to the hospital with chest pains last April. Turned out nothing was wrong, but still rattled me. Made me miss the trout opener too.
* No hunting.
* Writing projects started but not finished.
* My first trout trip of the season last May. One of those where I return wondering, "why do I even bother?"
* A class last spring that utterly imploded, due partly to poor planning, partly to erratic participation by a community group we worked with.
*Worst Meal: Out--Pancakes in a Tawas City diner; In--quinoa salad overwhelmed by garlic and vinegar. The amounts looked excessive to me, but I trusted the recipe.
*Worst Drink: Miller High Life during our canoe trip.
Honestly, it's hard to remember a lot of standout moments from 2008, which isn't such a bad thing. There were happy times, but few bad times that linger in memory. That's reason enough to be thankful.
Happy New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment