Saturday, April 01, 2006

Pere Marquette, 3/30-4/1

Finally...an actual fishing report. Just not the one I'd hoped to give.

For me, steelhead fishing is a feast or famine proposition. Either I hook into several, or I get either skunked or all but. The latter is more often the case, and so it was on this trip. In conditions ranging from bright sun and low water to heavy rain to gray skies and stained water, I fished long stretches of the fly water and came away with one solid hookup (which lasted all of about three seconds) to show for it. I caught a small rainbow on Thursday, and that was all I brought to hand. I was a bit surprised I didn't catch a few browns, as I usually land a few nice ones during spring steelheading, even when the steelhead don't cooperate. When you're cold, you're cold.

Most other fishermen I talked to were doing about the same. A few had taken a fish, and I did see a couple landed, but many were going fishless. Last night in a gas station, I heard one fisherman recounting how he and his three buddies had taken a dozen between them that day. Evidently someone knew where the fish were.

And how to get them. When it comes to steelheading, I'm still feeling my way around. Since most years I don't get out more than a couple days in April, I'm probably going to be in that position for while.

The trip did have some pleasant moments. Thursday afternoon was bright and warm, setting off a moderate hatch of black stonefies. There were a few trout picking them off the surface, 46˚ water notwithstanding. One of these years I'm going to carrly along my 5 wt. pack rod in my vest on a warm afternoon to see if I couldn't get some early dry fly action. The sight of the bugs and risers did whet my appetite for the upcoming trout season (28 days!).

Also on Thursday afternoon, I saw a dramatic example of how the river and its environs keep changing. This year, as in many others, my season began at the Lumberjack access, just below highway 37. One of the prominent landmarks there (aside from the NO TRESSPASSING signs lining the trail to the river) is large white pine that leans slightly over the water's edge. I got there Thursday to see the tree was had fallen into the water, the base of its trunk splintered like a broken twig.


I watched one passing drift boat get hung on it for several minutes when I walked in there on Friday, and though it probably will be trimmed soon, I suspect some canoers will be cursing it this summer. However, while I will miss its stately presence on the bank, the tree has rechanelled what had been a fairly nondescript stretch of water to form a strong, deep run along the south bank.
I expect that someday, the river will cut into the bank, leaving an overhang that will shelter large brown trout.

On some trips, possibilities provide more interest than actualities.

Tags: ; ;

No comments: