Last night, Kristine and I skipped dinner in favor of nibbling on cheese, fruit, and olives while sipping a bottle of good wine and watchng a couple episodes of The Wire. A pleasant evening, but by 10:00 I was nodding off. I wasn't in the mood for any more TV, and I didn't have energy for much else. I raised the possibility of turning in and letting the ball drop without us looking on. Kristine didn't object, so we picked up the leavings of our TV feast and retired to sleep in the new year.
Or so I thought. Once in bed, I felt wide awake, and from time to time I would look at the glowing red numbers on my alarm clock . I looked over once and saw 11:57. Having remained awake until that point, I figured I might as well watch for the new year's arrival. When 12:00 came up, I just turned away and closed my eyes again. The moment felt neither auspicious nor poignant. I was still tired but restless, and I thought of all the prepping for my new classes that needs to be done this week, and cringed a bit about my handwringng here yesterday.
At least the first morning of the new year began well. Driving to church this morning, the streets were utterly deserted. I don't think we saw ten cars on the move between home and downtown, and, more surprisingly, only one jogger. I liked the quietness, the calm lying over everything. It was about as close to the feeling of being on a river at dawn as you're likely to get riding in a car. It's a good feeling from which to sally into the year.
Happy 2006, all.
No comments:
Post a Comment