Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father Sarducci Lives!; Martinis with Martha

Yesterday Kristine and I went to the wedding of Stan M., one of her coworkers. He's from an Italian family, which meant, among other things a wonderful antipasto bar for appetizers at the reception. I would have been glad to make it the main meal. Also at the reception, the priest who gave the pre-dinner blessing was clearly from the old country, and sounded for all the world like Father Guido Sarducci from the old days on Saturday Night Live. Especially when he launched directly from the prayer into a story from his missionary days in Africa about how courting men had to make a gift of cattle to a prospective father in law if they wanted permission to marry his daughter. In conclusion the Father turned to the groom and asked "So-a Stanley, a-how many cows you had to give for Tracey?"

Don't know why but for some reason I had a taste for a martini today. I haven't had one in years, but it seemed like a good idea. We got a martini shaker a few Christmases ago as a door prize at a company party and had never used it. We don't have martini glasses either (which, as I see it, are one of the main reasons to drink one in the first place). So today I picked up Bombay gin, vermouth, and some Martha Stewart martini glasses from the K-Mart on Washtenaw (4 for $9.99). I think this will take some experimentation to perfect, but I've learned this much so far: kalamata olives are NOT a suitable accompaniment to a martini (even though they're one of the few olives I like to eat)--lemon zest is wonderful. More results to follow...

No comments: