Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fighting the Good Fight

In southeast Michigan musters a new platoon of conservation commandos. I'm not using the military argot for dramatic effect.

Michigan's Land Rescue Team is an organization of self-described "Soldiers of Preservation." The members gather at sites on public land to clean up garbage left behind by slobbish visitors.

It's a great cause, of course, though the martial motif is a little over the top, as in this description of upcoming deployment:


OUR NEXT TARGET:
Chenango Lake Public Access
This public access site is off E. Schafer Rd. in Livingston County and is part of the Brighton State Recreation Area. On tour, one of our soldiers reported back to us that this site was in desperate need of a full on assault by our Soldiers of Preservation.

THE BATTLE PLAN:
We are currently in contact with the DNR. They have informed us that a dumpster will be available when we need it. Our forces are combat ready, unfortunately, with the snow fall, this is going to be postponed a week or two so we can ensure the task at hand can will be completed, we do not want to miss anything. A date will be scheduled soon, stay tuned.


Perhaps as the organization grows, ski troops will be in order.

Like I said, I'm all for these kinds of efforts, though the work strikes me less as battle (the enemy, such as it is, has long left the field) than as tending wounds. But if sabre rattling inspires people to take action on behalf our public lands, I won't quibble over metaphors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The military tone is a bit weird, but if they're cleaning up, I think it's a good thing. It really is sad that so many people are so careless about protecting the land. Michigan is such a beautiful state, it shouldn't be marred by trash.

Ed said...

Yeah!