Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Gum Graftee Cuisine; There is a (Yawn) in Gilead

One of the biggest challenges following gum graft surgery is eating. The basic rules are: nothing too hot or cold; nothing spicy or acidic; nothing that's crunchy or requires much chewing; nothing through a straw; nothing with seeds. The best dining options are: mashed potatoes, allowed to cool; soy milk; mashed bananas; applesauce, hoummus or baba gannouj without pita bread; cream soups or broth, allowed to cool. You can put cheese on things, but only if its melted. Then allowed to cool. Limited menu, but that doesn't bother me as much as actually trying to ingest anything on it. No matter what I eat, anything that touches the affected side of the mouth will sting. Rinsing with water immediately after each bite helps. It's also a good idea to put bites as far back on your tounge as possible.

One pleasant surprise this morning--coffee doesn't seem to bother me (as long as it's allowed to cool). I feared the acidity might be a problem, and dreaded going without. Dodged that bullet. However, I had thought this surgery would give me a good excuse for a daily bowl of ice cream. Really bad idea. The chill is painful, and ice cream isn't very satisfying after it's been allowed to melt.

My motivation for nearly everything has been deliquescing since about the middle of June. This surgery isn't helping me pull it back together.

While convalescing yesterday, I finally got around to reading Marilynne Robinson's much-ballyhooed new novel Gilead. I was underwhelmed, much to my surprise. I love Housekeeping, and on the surface, this novel has all sorts of elements that ought to intrigue me--focus on a place, religion, sorting out one's past, the mystery of others, the wonder in the ordinary. It was beautifully written, no question. But I had a very hard time taking an interest in what was happening, and I can't say I found anything terribly illuminating about it. And I hadn't started the vicodin when I read it, so I can't blame my lack of enthusiasm on a narcotic fog. Maybe I simply went in with expectations too high. What's the rest of the world getting that I'm not? Anybody else have such a reaction??

No comments: